Join fellow University of Chicago alumni on this special winter tour that stays mostly indoors. Chicago Detours staff and UChicago alumn tour guides will lead the walking tour. Special for this tour, we are offering 25% off the regular tour price of $28 and limiting the group to 16 guests.
Saturday, January 19th tours at 12:30pm&3:00pm are completely SOLD OUT! We have added additional tours on Saturdays, January 12th at 12:00pm & 2:45pm and January 26th at 12:00pm, 12:30pm & 2:45pm. Hope you can join us!
Our events with UChicago alumni sell out quickly. This is limited to 16 guests. We advise you to book asap if interested! OR IF YOU CAN’T MAKE IT, WE OFFER THE TOUR REGULARLY TO THE PUBLIC. SEE PUBLIC TOUR SCHEDULE HERE.
On the Loop Interior Architecture Walking Tour, you’ll step inside magnificent lobbies, corridors, and the underground Pedway system for an in-depth, personal approach to a downtown Chicago walking tour. The Loop Interior Architecture Walking Tour takes you on a creative route that weaves through buildings and secret short-cuts. 95% of the tour takes place inside, making it great for any kind of our Chicago weather.
Tour guests share iPads with archival images of maps, historic photos and documentary video clips while the tour guide shares stories of Chicago history. As one of the top-rated tours in Chicago, the Loop Interior Architecture Walking Tour has received hundreds of five-star ratings on Yelp and TripAdvisor.
With Chicago Detours, our fun and passionate tour guides are highly trained professionals with degrees in architecture, design, art history and history. They know how to connect with a group, spark imaginations, and communicate new concepts in relating to architecture.
Looking at the outside of buildings, such as with architectural boat tours, can be a great first step in engaging with Chicago architecture. For the next level of connection with Chicago architecture, go inside of the buildings. You will appreciate Chicago architecture from new perspectives. Instead of the more isolated perspective of a downtown sidewalk you can truly experience architectural space from the interiors.
If you are looking for a Pedway-only tour, this walking tour is much more than just a Pedway walking tour. We venture into beautiful lobbies and corridors of both Chicago landmarks and lesser-known historic sites. And you get to meet the ever interesting community of UChicago alumni!
This Chicago architecture walking tour is also available as a private group tour for nine or more guests.
If you’re curious about Chicago Detours, read more here or connect with our Executive Director and University of Chicago Alumna Amanda Scotese on LinkedIn. We hope you’ll join us. You’ll get to meet the ever interesting community of UChicago alumni! Book your tour now as our events with the University of Chicago Alumni Club have all sold out.
- Church in a skyscraper with stained glass windows
- The “Chicago Picasso” sculpture
- Chicago's underground Pedway system
- The contemporary Block 37 development
- Marshall Field’s department store
- Sparkling Tiffany mosaics
- Chicago Cultural Center
Stories & Ideas
- How to read Chicago architecture to understand history
- Stories of corruption and generosity
- Why the 'L' is elevated
- Design psychology behind interior space
- A surprising history of shopping
- Religion and social diversity
- Engaging tour guide commentary
- Shared use of iPads with video & photos
- Professionally printed Chicago Pedway map
- Special Chicago gifts
- Discounted flat-rate parking at Grant Park North Garage ($15)
Tour Meeting Spot
- Tour starts inside the Marquette Building at 140 S. Dearborn. Walk straight through the lobby and continue straight to the back of the exhibit space to find your tour guide.
- Tour ends at the Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington St.