Full-Time Public Tour Coordinator and Tour Guide
Chicago Detours, a tour company for the curious, is hiring a permanent, full-time employee. This position is 30 hours per week in the office, and 5-10+ hours per week on tours. As a small business, it means a lot to find someone who fits into our culture of hard work, fun, professionalism, playfulness, and intellectual and creative geekery.
If hired, you will engage with both basic and big ideas in the exciting worlds of tourism and entrepreneurship. Working for a small business means you have to enjoy using different corners of your brain. Additionally, small businesses need people who are adaptable and multi-talented. This position is a mix of office administration, customer service, urban exploration, teaching, and fun.
Tour Company Candidate Qualifications:
• Excellent communication skills, phone etiquette, email etiquette, and customer service skills.
• Knowledge of the architecture, history and culture of Chicago.
• Background as an educator.
• Master’s Degree preferred.
• Microsoft Office and G-Suite proficient.
• Ability to balance attention to detail while keeping track of the big picture.
• Self-starter with the ability to work independently on long-term and short-term projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Minimum of 3 years experience working in an office environment.
• Resolve issues and communicate with public tour clients via phone and email.
• Attend to lots of attention to the details that make our public tours run.
• Operations management, like organizing procedures for selling tours with new vendors and managing public tour guide schedule.
• Manage the work of remote freelancers.
• Lead fun, dynamic public and private tours of interior architecture, historic bars, and Chicago neighborhoods.
Benefits for the Public Tour Coordinator and Guide Position:
• Paid vacation
• Paid sick days
• Health insurance stipend
• Fun, creative working environment
• Free walking and bus tours of interior architecture, historic bars, jazz and blues, and Chicago neighborhoods
• Flexible work schedule
• Educational team outings
• Office is in the very beautiful and historic Monadnock Building.
Schedule would be 5 days per week in the office. Must be able to work on Saturdays and the rare Sunday.
This is an awesome job for the right person. Because of the unique nature of the business and our desire to make sure we get the right fit, we will accept applications through November 2.