We Hire the Best Chicago Tour Guides
Chicago Detours invites top talent to join our team and become a top-notch Chicago tour guide. The number one requirement is passion – you must have an exceptional enthusiasm for architecture, history, the arts, and storytelling. Additionally, you need strong desire to share this enthusiasm with others – whether through work as a tour guide or via marketing our tour guide services. Our tour guides are hired because of their charisma as well as their background as educators.
Application Requirements for All Positions
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and favorite thing to do in Chicago (one paragraph max) to: [email protected].
Full-Time Project Assistant and Tour Guide
We are excited to continue to expand our team! This permanent position is 30-35 hours per week in the office, and 5-10+ hours per week on tours. This new position will be a mix of office administration, sales, marketing, strategy, research, urban exploration, teaching, and fun. You must be very, very detail-oriented. Schedule would be five days per week with Sundays and Wednesdays off.
If hired, you will engage with both basic and big ideas in the exciting worlds of tourism and entrepreneurship. Working for a small business means you have to be multi-talented and love using different corners of your brain. It means a lot for us to find someone who fits into our culture of hard work, fun, professionalism, playfulness, intellectual geekery and a bit of creative “out-there-ness,” too.
Public Tour Coordination (25-45% of the job)
- Communicate with public tour guests via phone and email.
- Organize the numerous details necessary for public tours, such as confirming with guides and partners.
- Oversee the tour guide calendar.
Social Media Management (10% of the job)
- Expand our social media strategy.
- Uncover archival and historical content for social media outlets.
- Manage the work of remote freelancers.
Administrative Project Support (10%-35% of the job)
- Organize invoices for private tour clients.
- Miscellaneous office tasks.
Tour Guide (20-25% of the job)
- Lead fun, dynamic public and private tours of interior architecture, historic bars, and Chicago neighborhoods.
- Excellent communication skills, phone etiquette, e-mail etiquette, and customer services skills.
- Knowledge of the architecture, history and culture of Chicago.
- Background as an educator.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Microsoft Office and Google DriveDocs/Gmail proficient.
- Ability to focus on the details while keeping track of the big picture and thinking outside the box.
- Background in social media marketing a plus, especially Facebook, Youtube, Instagram and Pinterest.
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in an office environment.
- Clear presentation and public-speaking skills.
- An enthusiastic presence and a desire to connect with people.
- Experience as a teacher.
- A love for stories.
- An impressive knowledge of Chicago’s past and present.
- Background in art history, architecture or other kind of visual art.
- Fluency in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian or Chinese a plus.
- Master’s degree in relevant studies.
- Paid vacation
- Paid sick days
- Health insurance stipend
- Fun, creative working environment
- Free walking and bus tours of interior architecture, historic bars, jazz and blues, and Chicago neighborhoods
- Educational team outings
- Office is in the very beautiful and historic Monadnock Building.
This is an awesome job for the right person. Because of the unique nature of the business and our desire to make sure we get the right fit, we will accept applications until this position is filled – but do keep in mind we are looking to hire immediately and hope to have all applications received by June 30th.